Saturday, November 12, 2005

lest we forget.

I feel that for the first time ever I truly understand the importance of Remembrance Day. I donated blood today. It differed from the other times I've donated because I was given the option of giving my donation in the honour of a friend or family member who had served in [a] war. I chose to do so in honour of my grandfather, Arne Allan, who served in the Canadian Navy in the 2nd World War. It seems like such a small thing to offer when so many gave their lives so that we could be here and enjoy the freedoms we so often take for granted. I can only hope that my donation can bring life to someone else in the way that his [and so many others] service to their country did. Thank you, Grandpa.



In Flanders Fields

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

-Lieut.-Col. John McCrae, M.D.

To those who have served, and those who continue to do so on behalf of all Canadians, thank you. We will never forget.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home